Sunday, June 18, 2006

RSS.

What ?

RSS 2.0 = Really Simple Syndication
Basically its a format for a family of "web feed" (a document which contains summaries of a particular blog or news website for example).

Where ?

erm ... on the internet ... I guess.

When ?

First version came out in March 1999.

Why ?

Well my theory is that some lazy genius out there was too lazy to hit F5 on his/her favourite pr()n educational website for new updates.
With RSS that lazy genius could just sit back and wait for the feeds to come.
Not saying that I know the creator of RSS or anything, its just my theory.

How ?

Hmm, well what I do is simply click on the RSS button in the address bar when i'm on the page that I want to subscribe to.
Looks like .
Found on the end of the address bar, all the way to the right.

It shouldn't be a problem if you're using Opera or Firefox (the 2 web browsers i've used RSS with).
If you don't have either one then I suggest you download them, cause apparently you have to download an extra software/plug-in for you to use RSS
But fret not, cause I believe most of the newer versions of web browsers already have them in-built.

Other notes.

Theres this other web feed format called Atom.
From what I have briefly read through, its something after RSS 2.0.
Its an open standard unlike RSS 2.0 and was created because there were some issues of deficiencies in RSS 2.0.
Too lazy to read in detail about it.

No comments: